Thursday, February 17, 2011

Queen Molly and Me

Walking into PaddyWhack pet supply in Mill Creek...I never imagined we would come home a family of three.
Upon entering the store me and my husband had frequented over the years, all of the familiar smells of catnip and rubber chew toys filled our noses. We began waltzing around, looking through the puppy sweaters and organic rabbit pellets, taking in an animals lovers' heaven.
My deep passion for animals began as a small girl, from reading the pet ads in the free newsprint at the library to wielding a young dragonfly in a large fruit bowl back to health, I couldn't get enough.
It is probably no surprise that I am taking courses in Zoology and Animal Psychology. Nor was it a surprise to me and my husband when we laid eyes on Molly, that we would be adopting her.
Three cats sat curled up and caged in between dog collars and automatic pet feeders.
Although Molly seemed to be the most suspicious and awkward feline in the bunch...she had a story more promising and auspicious than that of an prodigy orphan.
Her file read as follows: 
"Miss Molly is our resident queen, and at sixteen years old, she's allowed to be! Turned into the shelter because she "couldn't deal with change", this confident kitty couldn't disagree more! She has impeccable health, and doesn't look or act a day over six. She loves to have her face rubbed, and catnip is a bonus. Molly is a typical tortie, full of zest and has no problem letting you know what she wants. She is not fond of other cats or dogs, and would like to be in a quiet home where she can spend her retirement years in comfort and excess, like a queen should be treated!"
Need I say more? Those big emerald eyes held more than personality, they held a story...Molly had not been living in excess or comfort...she had been going from organization to organization in search of a family.
Fifty dollars and a jar of tuna fish flakes and she was in our back seat purring.
It was as if she knew her journey was over and a new beginning awaited her.
Its been a little over a year now since we adopted Molly and joined by her little brother Oliver, she has lived a lovely and relaxing life in our small apartment.
However...now I am faced with something every pet owner must comes to terms with...Death.
Molly not only was diagnosed with arthritis in her hips, but has also become quite incontinent.
Dribbles of urine and feces litter our kitchen every morning and though I have kept up on her pain medication I begin to wonder if I will ever have the courage to face a fast coming fact.
Her life here with us on earth is coming to an end.
How do I cope? How do I know whats best for her? I wish she could talk for half a second...do you want me to end this or let it run its course, Molly?

1 comment:

  1. I just recently lost a dog whom the vet estimated wouldn't live passed four years old. On multitudes of pain meds and a good diet he made it to ten years. It was a pretty easy decision because in the end his face swelled up making it hard to breathe and he didn't want to move. I have heard though that you will know when an animal is ready to die, somehow they let us know. Anyways, I know what you're going through, it won't be easy, but you'll make it.

    ReplyDelete