Monday, June 13, 2011

Poem from the Past...

I stumbled upon this poem from my creative writing class portfolio, it was the only one I submitted that I hadn't written during the course. I know my teacher considered that cheating, but it was from the diary of fourteen year old Brittany. A little girl at the time, who found the sensational clarity of divorce, amidst violent verbal abuse. Although revised, the main message remains.I hope that someday maybe someone else will stumble on it, and in doing so catch themselves. Enjoy.

Father is Ordering Tears, Instead of Empty Beers

Is anyone still calling,
For my tears that won't stop falling,
Because I feel that I can't stop them on
My own.

My tears are being ordered,
By a man that has me cornered,
Somehow I have the notion
He will drown.

Someday he will notice,
Walk away and never show us,
What it means to drink my tears
And wear a crown.

What he doesn't know,
Is that his tab will always show,
And in the end I never ever
Let him down.

-Brittany Ricco

No comments:

Post a Comment